Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 to 12 minutes for the pasta
Yield: 6 cups
To make the salad:
* 8 oz long fusilli
* 1 cup snow peas
* 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
* 1/2 cup shredded carrots
* 1 Tbs sesame seeds
* 1 scallion, thinly sliced (optional)
To make the Dressing:
* 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
* 2 tsp brown sugar
* 2 Tbs reduced-sodium soy sauce
* 1 tsp sesame oil
* 1 tsp rice or apple-cider vinegar
1. Cook pasta according to package directions; add snow peas to the boiling water about one minute before pasta is done. Drain and rinse under cool water.
2. Mix the peanut butter, brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and rice vinegar in a large bowl. Add the pasta and snow peas; mix well. Add chicken and carrots; toss to combine. Top with sesame seeds and scallions, if you like.
How kids can help: Mix the peanut-butter dressing; sprinkle on sesame seeds and scallions.
Per serving (1 cup): 279 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated), 277 mg sodium, 20 mg cholesterol.